Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Life: Cleaning Around the Washer's Door - Second Attempt

I spent quite some time watching videos on cleaning. One of the techniques that I tried to replicate was cleaning using baking soda and vinegar. Baking soda has made cleaning much easier on the tougher stuff that were greasy especially the range hood.

So, I tried this on the washer door again. I had attempted this once and was not very successful (see post link below). As you can see in the pictures, I was only able to clean certain areas where I can rub it down with a paper towel.

This time I tried to use baking soda on the right side. I used fantastik Scrubbing Bubbles bleach 5-in-1 all purpose clean on the left. I let both sit there for about 30 minutes. I tried to use paper towel to wipe it down but did not appear to be any easier.

The next day, an idea suddenly dawned on me to try to use a screwdriver. I did not even have to scratch all the mess out. I am not sure if it was because of cleaning agents or if it was usually that easy to remove since it was equally easy near the left and right hinge, as well as the part in between which was not exposed to either agents. (I felt pretty stupid not having thought of this earlier)

Once I was able to remove the stuff (which was incredibly disgusting), I noticed it was just a wet chunk of lint and probably some other stuff. Even knowing that, I still did not want to touch it even with my gloves on. But, the washer now looks much cleaner.

You can kind of see that it is much cleaner across the top.

Here you can see that it much cleaner than the similar picture from the other post. I used the fantastik Scrubbing Bubbles.

Here you can also see that it is much cleaner than last time. I used ordinary baking soda with water (soaked for 30 minutes).

This view is not great to see that it is cleaner around the hinge, but you can see door itself is much cleaner. I used fantastik on the door to clean. It does not look as dirty before but I had to use several paper towels to clean the door.

Same as the previous picture, this view does not show how much cleaner it became. Also same as the previous picture, the door is much cleaner.


I am not exactly sure how to clean around the corners or edges. The left side is a little dirtier which I think is more because I am right handed so was difficult to get around the gaps. I also found that cleaning every week also removes some stains that was not easy to remove in the past. While some stains just slowly clear up over time. Somehow, this keeps me to stay cleaner. 

I just noticed today that my hands are much drier than usual because my hands used to not be dry at all. I have only used gloves since using baking soda and fantastik. I have been cleaning with just paper towels and Kaboom with the power of Oxi Clean before. I do not know if that is the cause. I'll have to note as I continue to use the gloves because it may just be because I wash my hands way more frequently than I did in the past too. 

The next project is to figure out how to remove the stains from the bottom of the toilet seats. I tried baking soda and both all purpose cleaners. None seems to fade the stain.

Most of these were leftover from the owner prior to my renting the unit so I am not sure what caused some of these uncleanliness. I am sure these are things that were accumulated over several years. I plan to have my own place eventually and figured to use this opportunity how clean certain appliances... just in-case I somehow screw something up. I find that it is just easier to clean things on a weekly or every two weeks (maybe once a month). Weekly is easiest to maintain the habit though. 


Reference:
http://douglastclee.blogspot.com/2014/01/life-cleaning-around-washers-door.html

No comments:

Post a Comment